THE NEW PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Supplement of The Ohio Democrat, Thursday, March 8, 1900
An Exhaustive Review of That Magnificent Building,
and Its Well Planned Appointments.

church.gif

INTERIOR


We ask our readers to now go with us to the Market Street entrance. Within the doors we ascend a short flight of stairs to the north vestibule, which is furnished in rock plaster and frescoed in a delicate green-blue and trimmed in pink. To the right leading from this vestibule and in the extreme north-east corner of the building is the Ladies Parlor. It is handsomely finished in rock plaster in hardwood, frescoed in a Terra Cotta, with green tinted border. The elegant colored glass window in the east side of this room was donated by the Antique Guild. This well appointed parlor will soon be furnished in royal style and used as a ladies waiting room or reception or meeting room. 

In front of us in entering the vestibule a door leads to the chapel which we will endeavor to describe farther on in this article. To the right and near the door of the Ladies Parlor there ascends a neat flight of stairs to the galleries, and at the left side of these stairs, descends a flight to the social and supper rooms in the church basement. To the left of the vestibule on entering, swing open the heavy doors that lead to the Auditorium.

AUDITORIUM

Upon entering this magnificent room one is awed in day time by the soft blend of beautiful colors, and the modest shades of light that seem soothing to the eye. At night a glow of 200 incandescent lights break upon the sight, softened by the sweet shades of the walls, that bring a thrill of extacy to him that looks upon them. The auditorium is large and amphitheatral in form

The auditorium and the entire church are heated by registers here and there, supplied by heat from a huge triple gas furnace in the basement. The ventilation of the auditorium is by means of steel apertures about the base of the pulpit, which lead to an air shaft and revolving fan in the basement. The dome is also of a ventilating construction.

The auditorium is separated from the chapel by an ascending partition which is frescoed as the walls, and weighs 2400 pounds. It is elevated by means of weights of equal pounds attached to copper cables passing through heavy derrick pulleys and descending through shafts to the basement. We will now apply the leverage and lift this partition and let our readers look into the chapel. 

CHAPEL

We have thrown the church into one vast auditorium. The floor ascends in uniformity with that of the front and the walls blend in the same beautiful rock plaster and blue-green frescoing trimmed in pink. The chapel has a commodious gallery and a seating capacity of more than 300. When it is thrown open with the main auditorium the seating capacity is more than 1200, lighted by nearly 300 incandescent lights. 

It is finished in hard wood, and rock plaster, frescoed in a beautiful and restful green-blue shade, trimmed in pink border of beautiful design. The ceiling is finished in artistic points extending from the dome to the pillars and corners at sides, like the draping of rich velvet, forming many artistic triangles and all seeming to create one magnificent manifold star, the gorgeous dome being the center. The dome is of numberless panels of colored glass, encircled at the base by sixty incandescent lights, like a string of golden beads. The others of the 200 lights in the auditorium are distributed in clusters protruding from the pillars about the pulpit, and in beaded strings of thirty lights in the arches of the commodious galleries over each entrance. 

As stated before the room is in amphitheatral form, the floor gently sloping from the entrances to the pulpit in the south-east corner. The pulpit is about two feet high, rising higher behind the place of the pastor, for the choir. The high pipe organ sits well back in the alcove with the choir in front, curtained from the audience by a rich mantel about three feet in height, supported by brass rods. The pulpit and alcove are carpeted with a soft and beautiful velvet finish Brussels carpet. The acoustics of the church are perfect. The human voice or music from the organ, carry through the auditorium in full round tone. The effect of the lights in the alcove of the organ is most unique. The lights are invisible themselves, but their glow is thrown back against the walls of the alcove and rebound in the soft tints of the frescoing. The seating capacity of the auditorium proper is about 500, and each side gallery will seat about 100.

To the left of north entrance to the auditorium facing Market Street is a magnificent window about 25 feet in height and divided into three splendid panels. Upon the first is a crystal   finished reproduction of a life size painting of Christ blessing little children. This panel is in memory of John Wright Work, 1823-1887. The center panel is a life size picture of Christ saying, "Come Unto Me." The panel is in memory of John Walker, 1819-1898, and Evaline Walker, 1821-1880. The third panel represents Christ bearing the lost sheep.  The panel is in memory of A. J. Smith, 1831-1871, and Rev. F. M. Smith, 1866-1894.  These three beautiful panels grouped into one large window are indeed of the most fitting and grandure in the observation of any. 

To the right and near the pulpit and facing Market Street is a single window of most beautiful colored glass. The picture on it is a reproduction of Huffman's "Christ in the Temple." This window was donated by Mr. C. E. Bowen's class. There are four windows at the sides and rear of the choir alcove that furnish ample light for the pulpit. At the right of the pulpit facing Hunter Street is a magnificent window in triple form. The representation is that of Christ as the Good Shepherd, the entire window being a beautiful oriental scene. To the left the flock of sheep is wandering in the wilderness, to the right following the Good Shepherd and the center panel completing the magnificent scene with Christ holding the lost lamb in his arms. All is in life size, one beautiful picture, and is the admiration of all. The window is in memory of John Rochester, 1796-1876.

The large front doors as we mentioned heretofore, are for exit purposes. The congregation by that means can have quicker access to the street especially from the front pews of the church, and also have an opportunity to exchange greetings with the pastor. In the vestibule of the exit is a pretty window of colored glass in memory of A. Steinman, 1815-1891.

The purpose of the chapel is for Sunday school and midweek meetings. It is in crescent form the portable pulpit being located at the ascending partition. The chapel may be divided into rooms by means of curtains so that each Sabbath school class may have separate compartments. It has 18 windows in rear of the room and above the gallery. These are in handsome colored and ornamental glass. Among the names appearing on the windows as donors we note the following: Class of Miss Mary E. McCray, Class of Miss Eveline Bowen, Class of Mrs. David R. Moore (now the class of Miss Sadie McCray), Class of Mrs. John Vail, Class of Mrs. M. E. Smith, Class of Mrs. John A. Smith, Class of Miss Lucy Walker, Class of Miss Minette M. McCray, Ladies' Home Missionary Society - Mrs. Harley J. Steward President, and Georgian Rochester Hopley. 

To the left of the chapel room a flight of stairs leads to the galleries, and at the extreme right of the galleries a door leads to the Pastor's Study. This is a beautiful room of size and directly over the Ladies Parlor. It is frescoed in pink with harmonious trimmings. Leading also from the gallery vestibule north is the Children's room. This is for the play and amusement of children when brought to service and become restless. The room is off from the auditorium so that no happy play could disturb, yet close to the galleries, from which the parents could hear the sermon and also be watchful of the children. This is certainly a happy thought and excellent arrangement on the part of the plans of construction. From the north gallery vestibule also, ascends the stairs to the attic and tower. 

The Hunter Street entrance to the church also brings one to a main Auditorium door, to the chapel, to the gallery stairs, and to the descending stairs of the basement, supper and social rooms. In the vestibule of this entrance will be windows finished in memory of Dr. Little and wife, and Mrs. Brown. 

The chapel, as has been referred to, is in amphitheatral form, the ceiling surmounted by a pretty dome in the center of which is a picture of the Herald Angel painted in oil by Prof. Henrii Byronn, a German artist of skill, who is at present located in Logan. Surrounding the dome and picture are 16 incandescent lights. A score more lights adorn the galleries and pillars of the chapel. One of the unique features of the chapel is the provision of several dozen kindergarten chairs for the infant classes. At the left of the chapel is a small room well appointed, in which to store the books and literature of the sabbath school and mid-week classes.

BASEMENT OR SOCIAL ROOMS

We ask our readers now to hold in sweet memory the beauties of the auditorium and convenient rooms of the main church and go with us to the culinary department, as it were. The basement being the size of the outer walls of the entire church is called the supper or social rooms. They may be reached by stairs leading from the vestibules of both main entrances. The entrance to the social rooms from the Hunter Street vestibule leads to the main dining hall. This is in crescent form well lighted, and like all the basement rooms, will be finished in snow white frescoing and floored with dry pressed brick. The dining room is studded circularly with pillars for the support of the chapel above, and around these pillars will uniquely be circled portable tables, which will make a handsome and attractive dining room. In this room are several pretty alcoves that may be used on social occasions as booths for sales ladies and their pretty wares. Leading north-east from the dining room is the lady's parlor, thence to the kitchen and pantry. The kitchen is fitted with stoves, water, waste pipes and cooking utensils, and the pantry shelved, and filled with dishes and tableware. Leading from the kitchen is the large conservatory that is under the main auditorium. In this are pretty house plants and pleasant benches upon which to rest and admire the beautiful flowers. The furnaces and ventilators are in the conservatory room, but all such of unsightly nature will be partitioned off and hidden from the visitor. A door leads from the conservatory to the dining hall also, so that persons in time of a rush, that cannot be served, may abide their time by a stroll among the beautiful flowers and ferns.

ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES

The lighting of the church is a feature of great moment and worthy of much praise. The lights, more than 300 in number, are furnished by the Citizen's Electric Light Company. Their arrangement and distribution throughout the structure are most perfect. During the constructing of the building, Mr. Charles Lutz, the efficient electrician of the company carefully and perfectly wired the structure, and it is but a slight evidence of vast amount of work that he did, to visit the attic and see the network of wires running in all directions. He used in the entire building over 6300 feet of wire. His work has been tested in many ways and found not the least deficient. Near the north entrance to the Auditorium is the electrical switch board. It contains 21 keys, and by its manipulations different pairs of globes are illuminated. The lights in the dome may be turned on in pairs, in fours or alternately, and during the sermon the auditorium lights may all be darkened except the pulpit lights, which is restful to the eyes of the congregation. The lighting system is as near perfect as any public building that has come to our notice.
THE CHOIR

The Choir of the Presbyterian Church is a most excellent musical organization, and each sabbath furnish music that is a rare treat to the congregation. The following are members of this organization: Sopranos - Mrs. G. C. Weitzell, Mrs. John A. Smith, Miss Estelle Finney and Miss Jessie McManigal; Altos - Miss Sadie McCray and Miss Elizabeth Vail; Tenors - Irving Krieg, Prof. Pierpont, Clarence McCray and H.R. Harrington; 
Bass - Joe Rochester and Chas. Mauk; Organist - Mrs. C. E. Bowen.
WORK OF ERECTION

Much praise is due to the untiring efforts of the building committee of the Church which has had this work in hand. The committee are John W. Jones, Edward Baker, R. D. McManigal and Amos Parker. About three years ago they took it upon themselves this great work, and the church stands as a monument of how well they have performed their duties. They have almost entirely employed Logan labor. The bricks were made in Logan by the Hocking Clay Mfg. Co; the original contract was let to contractor John W. Strentz, and A. Magoon was appointed superintendent. The moving of the old church and excavation for the new church was overseen by A. H. Wilson and A. V. Crawford. Mr. Strentz's contract brought the building to enclosure, and is entitled to much praise for the excellent work that he did. Since the enclosure, the inside mostly has been finished by Blosser & Risley, among the best skilled workmen in the valley. Mr. Amos Parker assisted by Mr. Thornburg did the painting and frescoing which speaks for itself as tasteful and artistic. The building when completed and furnished will cost near $18,000, and it is certainly a pride to our town and a monument to the willing hands that erected it. 
A BIT OF HISTORY

First Presbyterian Church of Logan was organized Sept. 1, 1829, in Starr Township with fifteen members. Rev. Francis Bartlett was the first stated supply pastor, and served four years. His successors followed in the following order and years:
Rev. William Kimball         1 year (stated supply pastor) 
Rev. William McAboy    1 year (stated supply pastor)
Rev. Luke DeWitt    1 year (stated supply pastor)
Rev. Charles R. Fisk     2 years (stated supply pastor)
Rev. Roswell Tenney     3 years 
Rev. S. P. Dunham     5 years
Rev. James B. Sheldon     4 years
Rev. Thomas Towler     2 years
Rev. C. C. Hart         12 years
Rev. W. A. Bosworth    1 year (stated supply pastor)
Rev. M. L. Milford     2 years (stated supply pastor)
Rev. C. C. Hart (returned)     14 years
Rev. David R. Moore         13 years
Rev. Harley J. Steward    1 year

Dr. Harley J. Steward, the present pastor, has been with this church but a year, having retired from an eight year pastorate at Westminster, in Cincinnati to accept this charge. During his short stay here, the entire community have become his friends. He is broad in conception, genial in nature, a thorough business man and a Christian gentleman. He is untiring in his duties, and the church has increased more than half a hundred in membership during his short stay here. He is now permanently installed here, and the church is certainly fortunate in their selection.

This new church and its present prosperous condition is the pride of our city, and indeed the membership is to be congratulated upon its advancement and improvement, and as a citizen of Logan, we congratulate ourselves that we have in our city such progressive people. We wish the church and its beloved pastor God speed.

{Supplement of The Ohio Democrat, Thursday, March 8, 1900} 
Reproduced June, 2002 to preserve the church's history.